Thursday, March 09, 2006

England

Once again I got stuck in the middle of a row for the flight. I fail to understand why people request aisle seats if they are going to sleep for the entire flight. The lady in question was, sadly, a little to large to clamber over without awakening and the two of us stuck in that row were largely awake for the whole 14 hrs. This meant that rather than getting up to stretch every hour or two we only got out every four hours or so when she was awake. I have had more comfortable experiences. On the other hand, the food was good and the staff friendly. I watched lots of American tv (single episodes of CSI, House, Numb3rs etc...) and several movies. I wasn't a huge fan of the new Pride & Prejudice movie. I suppose it was okay for the time they had to work with but I by far & large prefer the BBC mini-series. Aeon Flux was okay, although I've never seen the original work that it's based on and thus can't say how accurate it is in relation to that. They certainly portray her though as having the most lethal thighs of any woman outside of a James Bond flick!

Singapore Airport is lovely. There's lots of shops, an orchid garden with a pool & koi, it's clean and easy to navigate. As a bonus it also has lots of free internet terminals if you have the time to use them. I made it to the gate line a grand ten minutes before it was due to close :P I was chatting to a British guy while waited and enquired whether Heathrow was as lovely as the Singapore terminal. He shot me a look before grumbling that, 'No, Heathrow was like a dirty old bus station'. It seems, on later reflection, that he sadly has a point. We got off the plane and were greeted by the news that the escalator was broken and were directed to the stairs. One of the luggage things was broken and so, unfortunately, was the Picadilly line of the tube. In consolation the girl redirecting everyone had a gorgeous accent but being told that we'd need to be redirected via a few other lines wasn't the best news to fall on weary ears. The next gripe being that they're not particularly P.C. over here towards disabled access. The underground seems to favour stairs.... lots and lots of stairs.....which are hell when you have a 22kg suitcase to try and lug up and down them. Fortunately there are advantages to being female, blonde & looking distraught (or like you're about to murder the stairway). I had lovely British men approach me and offer to carry my suitcase up, or down, every single set of stairs. Go the Brits!

So at last I arrived, freezing & weary, very late in the afternoon at my pub :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home