Thursday, March 09, 2006

I love Hello

The lovely lovely man at the internet cafe has agreed to give me administrator access on the pc which means that I can download whatever I want. This means that I can now access that precious jewel among free software downloads called Hello. It has only one purpose in its digital life and that is to faciltate the transfer of images between your pc and Blogger.com (and, in theory, other people on the Hello network but it really it's all about Blogger). Essentially some programmer got pissed off about the fact that Blogger takes 5-10 minutes to upload each photo and that's if it doesn't crash while it's doing so. Hello uploads them in about twenty seconds. *g* Considering I have a brand new digital camera to play with.... I am now happy. Unfortunately, I don't currently have access to software to crop, turn etc... so they have to be uploaded pretty much as they are. I apologise in advance for forcing head tilting to view some of them properly :P

That being said I can now get on with updating my blog for the rest of this rainy day until my first shift starts at work :) Since this is the only diary that I'm keeping on my trip it will be a relief to finally get my photos etc... published while I still remember what they refer to :P

On a side note.... since that's what BA students are oh so apt to do.... Cronenberg's Dead Ringers had an interesting take on the human need for communication. Elliott tells Beverley at one point that he has to tell him about what happened the night before: ~"Bev, you haven't done anything until I've done it too. You haven't f* Claire Niveau until you've told me about it." ~ I mean don't get me wrong, the twins have severe narcissitic dependencies and a number of other pscyhosexual issues but the film's commentary on communication is still interesting. It suggests that our need for communication is driven by a need to seek validation for our experiences from an external source. To draw on Lacan the baby does more than cry into the ether, it reaches towards the form in the mirror not only because it is a perfect and complete form of its own fragmentary sense of self but also because by being heard or seen by what appears to be another source then this is a confirmation of its own existence. Or, to put it into more cliched terms - does a tree really fall in a forest if noone is there to witness it. Which is bollocks really as it gets witnessed by all the other trees, who are probably very sympathetic but thinking 'thank god it wasn't me that got hit by that freak tornado' etc... But perhaps the tree would feel better if it had a large audience, a few environmental camera crews; it's certainly more dramatic that way.
So perhaps blogs are a form of narcisstic self-expression, a desire to validate our experiences or simply a form of recording our memories for when we inevtiably get old and can't remember if we put the kettle on.
Anyway, enough of such errant postulating (I do miss Alex and Miska, they're Theory & the Gothic class really is worth taking and conveniently can be used towards either a Film or English major), back to Singapore...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home