Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Pub

The Pub is a true pub. Lots of beer and food and no sports television - those seem to be relegated to the bars over here. The ground floor is the pub itself and I start my first shift later today :) Then you go through the back and the security doors etc... to get up to the private living quarters. The bathroom/toilet is on the first floor (you can feel the temperature shift just stepping from the toilet - which has a radiator next to it - to the sink - which has the window next to it). Next level is the owner's; Terry, his wife and their three wee kids live there. Third floor has my room and for the moment they;re not planning on hiring any moer live-in staff so I have the whole huge room to myself! The chef & his wife also have their bedroom on our floor. They're lovely and are from Brazil. I'm hopeless with names and so forget until I've heard them a few times. They speak Portugese and some English; so I'll have to try and pick up a few phrases in Portugese over the following weeks :) We've also got a tv room with a couch, tv & DVD player. A drying room/store room. And a kitchen/dining room. We've only got a microwave to cook with which rules out the stirfries that I live off back home but on the bright side I like steamed vegetables and they seem to sell a lot of different microwave meals here including healthy steamed stuff. There are radiators everywhere which are heavenly! On the bright side this makes home nice and warm irregardless of the weather outside and clothes dry within a day or so :) So it's actually warmer living in the pub with the cold UK winter than it was living through winter at the flat in Sandringham which had all the glass to lose heat through!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home